Saturday, February 02, 2008

My friend Deirdre signed up for this Thing-a-Day project. It's a collective of bloggers who commit to using the dreary days of February to make a "thing" a day. If you go to the website, there's a list of possible "things" to do after the blog title on the top of each page. It's a pretty all-encompassing list - "knit, cook, draw, paint, tape, solder, write, install, destroy, invent, document". I thought hey, even I can manage one of those things. At the very least I could say "Hi folks. Today I farted. I created gas!"

So I signed up. And promptly missed the first day. In fact, I sort of forgot that January slid into February yesterday as the weather here simply slid from one snowy day into another snowy day. For some reason that obviously makes no sense, I thought that it would stop snowing once the calendar flipped to another month. But no, nothing has changed. February snow and white looks surprisingly similar to January snow and white.

It's not like I didn't do anything yesterday. I did lots of things, I just didn't post about any of them. And honestly, none of them are so amazing that I'd want to crow about them. For example:

  • I made cinnamon raisin French toast.
  • I went to the bookstore.
  • I read some blogs.
  • I answered some e-mails.
  • I kept tabs on William's whereabouts.
  • I let the dogs in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out.
You can see how none of those are particularly inspiring.

About halfway through January, through a series of synchonicities, the exact details of which have now become somewhat faded, I decided that I would embrace my coccoon nature of January and that February was going to be when all that quiet rest and reflection would change into cleaning and preparing energies. I was sort of disappointed that this didn't manifest in me jumping up into a Broadway song and dance number on the stroke of midnight February 1 but, there are signs of stirring.

More inspiring than the rest of the "things" on my list, yesterday I spent some serious, real time tossing around writing ideas and then researching them online last night. I've reserved another blog name to use for all things "Writer-ish" but it's not ready to launch yet so I'll just mention this here, being as it counts as being creative.

I won't be following through with more thinking and researching today however. Today is Imbolc, my deadline for taking all the holiday boxes out to the garage (even though there's several feet of packed snow between here and there) and burning all the holiday greens. That falls under "destroying" and "dismantling". In fact, quite literally "dis-mantling" as I'm going to take my mantel decor apart. Hah! I also told myself I would make, maintain, and keep up-to-date an altar this year, so I'll be working on creating a Imbolc altar. It might be as simple as a candle and picture, it might be as complex as setting up some grow lights and planting some seeds. We'll see.

Also, my need to deal with my photo storage problems has hit or will soon (like, within a day or two) hit crisis point, so that's right up there on the top of the To Do List. Not something that's very creative or interesting to share but it's critical to me getting back into my creative groove as I depend heavily on my photography to inspire me.

In the meantime, my daughter-in-law has been a lot busier in the crafty side of life than me. Check out Lisa's recent posts showing the quilts she finished in the last couple of days.

I'll leave with you an artsy photo. I didn't take it this year, it's from several winters ago - we actually have a LOT more snow now - but I thought this photo captured the peaceful white side of my mood lately.


4 comments:

see you there! said...

I really need a jump start to my creativity, I should have signed up for the Thing A Day I think.

We have snow at the Mt. House. The oldtimers in the area say it is the most snow in about 20 years.

Darla

Lori said...

"Hi folks. Today I farted. I created gas!" LOL!!! you are too funny!!!

your picture of the snow is lovely!!!

Stephanie said...

Sounds to be that you are doing a LOT creatively!! The new writing blog is great.

Please share how you are solving your photo storage issues. I too am having those....I bought a Best Buy server storage option and am not happy at ALL with this!! I think I'm going to get an external hard drive.

thanks!

Jonna Barnett said...

"I let the dogs in and out and in and out and in and out and in and out." This sounds like my day....HA. And I did not know that most orange tabbies were male, we have two orange females - sisters and the other is a manx?