Monday, September 11, 2006

I wanted to share a photo from our trip to New York City this spring to acknowledge the anniversary of 9-11. Something appropriately significant and yet arty. I had a few photos I actually took at Ground Zero, but this photo seemed to best fit my mood this year. This is William looking out the windows of the Great Hall on Ellis Island, towards the Manhattan skyline. I could share my reasons why this particular photo felt right but I've decided it's best to leave you to experience it in your own way.

Except for this - At the last minute, impulsively, I decided I needed to add a poem. I walked over to my newly organized shelf of poetry books, picked a book at random and opened it up. This is what I read, and clearly I needed to search no further.

WITHOUT

the silence

of nature

within.


the power within.

the power


without.


the path is whatever passes-no

end in itself.


the end is,

grace-ease-


healing,

not saving.


singing

the proof


the proof of the power within.


- Gary Snyder, from his collection Turtle Island

No comments: