Saturday, April 12, 2008

Art from the Louvre comes in many sizes, from the teeny tiny all the way up to the very, very large.

These little statues would each fit in the palm of my hand.


This fellow wouldn't be able to squeeze inside the walls of my house.


Tiny bits and pieces of Egyptian art.

A life sized lady Godiva - well, I have no idea who she is, but she could be Lady Godiva, yes? Or maybe she's practicing for the roll of Nellie in South Pacific - "I'm gonna wash that man right outa my hair!"

This wee angel was very tiny - I can't recall exactly any longer but I don't think she was much longer from head - er, neck to toe than the length of my hand. What I do remember is she struck such a chord in me - I wanted to take her home with me so I could just stare at her for hours.

I couldn't get close enough to get the details and get her all in one shot, so here's the rest of her - look at the detail of her tiny foot!

And here's one of the most famous inhabitants of the Louvre and one that somehow I'd never managed to hear about before I met her in person. The Winged Victory of Samothrace. There were many, many moving pieces of art but some affected me more than others. It was pretty cool to see the Mona Lisa but the Winged Victory was the work I wanted to linger by for longer than William was happy about. I didn't manage to get a very good photograph of her. To get an idea of her size, check out the tourist photo below.

No comments: