Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Louvre - May 2006

It was pretty apparent by the end of our trip that my camera was having focusing issues in low light. I finally figured out how to deal with this issue with this particular camera this last year. So what did I do? I went out and bought myself a new camera I don't know how to use for my upcoming return to the Louvre. I only have a few days left to practice with it before we leave. Anyway, moving on... or, rather, moving back (in time)....

I'm guessing this is Artemis. She's often portrayed hugging her "dear" friend.

Mercury, the god of communications, so it's interesting to see him apparently popping out of this head. I wonder what the head is trying to communicate? "Help! I seem to have lost the rest of me!" Or maybe "Get the *#!& off my face!" Mercury has been so co-opted by the florist industry, I expect him to be holding a bouquet instead of that sceptre thing.

The Three Muses?

William looking out a window, a fire extinguisher (in case all that marble suddenly starts burning?), a row of heads, and, finally, what I was really taking a photo of - the pattern on the floor. If you're a quilter, you can make this pattern and know it matches a floor in the most famous museum in the world.

Recognize this beauty? Striking resemblance, huh? Y'know, it would have never occurred to me to have my photo taken with the Venus de Milo but we saw other women posing with her so I figured, what the heck.

Here she is without the competition. Snort. And check the beautiful tile (quilting?) pattern beneath her.


A satyr trying to decide between grapes and music. He's not quite as Disney-esque as us Americans are used to seeing, eh?


I don't have the feet quite right - which might be why she (Isis?) manages to draw down the moon while all I could manage was a digital camera with a penchant for fuzziness.

Athena, Goddess of Wisdom. If my first grandson, Joshua, had been a girl, my daughter was going to name her Athena. I found that an interesting symbolic choice for multiple reasons. It would have been appropriate in many ways, but I admit I thought that it would be a difficult name to fill. More specifically, I thought it would be hard to be the mother of an Athena. So, perhaps it was better that it was Joshua who arrived instead. She did give birth to a daughter two years later, who she named Anastasia.

I have a lot more museum photos. Check back, I'll try to get some more up before I'm off to take even more, hopefully sharper, photos. And over on Beach Treasure there are photos of the Louvre's city - Paris.

No comments: