Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I don't want any trouble. I just wanna be alone and quiet in a room with a chair and a fireplace and a tea cozy. I don't even know what a tea cozy is, but I want one." - Buffy Summers

I would have posted this last night but my cable internet server has decided to pull down the shades and turn off the lights every night. GRRRRR. Might be able to get it fixed finally today, knock on wood. But at least it's working right now. Knock again.

I finally got some studio time and finished the tea cozy I started last week.

It's a pattern I adapted from a tea cozy my mom bought me long ago at a craft sale. I like it because it doesn't have to be taken off the tea pot to pour like this type of cozy. I've never used that type but I also wonder if it keeps the tea hot as long as there's no bottom, and I wonder if there's a steam issue that requires airing or washing after use because the spout is covered.

It also doesn't have to be a perfect fit nor gathered and tied like this type of cozy. Although this type works well, they used them at the tea room, it seemed a bit fussy to get on and off.

There are other variations - quilted, sewn, felted, crocheted and knitted. All have their pluses and minuses I suppose. The main problem I've seen with many is that they have to be fitted to a specific size and shape. Still, I can see how one could become intrigued enough to try out different kinds. Me, I just like this one and since it works well, I'm sticking with it for my first efforts to make them myself.


Here's a peek at the inside fabric. Theoretically it could be used in reverse as well, just the seams would flare out around the bottom with the orange side out. This size fits a medium to large tea pot. I'm going to have to figure out how to scale it down if I want to make a cozy for my smaller tea pots. So far I don't have a cozy for them, I just drink the tea a bit faster.


I moved on to another project, sewing up some small rips along the seams in these lovely stretch velvet gloves I found at the thrift shop. Only took about fifteen minutes and now they're ready to use. I thought of embellishing them but they'll be useful with more outfits just the way they are.


If I was more organized, I woulda created a spooky little vignette and had a nice background. But I was all about getting things done, not getting distracted last night. But one more photo, 'cuz I thought myself clever and added a little spider to the elastic gather. EEEKK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very cute. I hope to get back to drinking tea this winter, especially if I sit and read a book. Seems hard to fit in....