Sunday, November 04, 2007

Jennalee of artrageous afternoon tagged me for the random meme that's been going around. I've enjoyed reading about other people's random wierdness and I've certainly got a lot of wierdness to choose from for my own list.

Here are the rules for this tag:

1. Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself
3. Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
4. Let each person know that they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Seven random and perhaps wierd things about MOI.

1. I don't seem to be more right or left brain dominant. Instead I tend to test as strongly BOTH. I guess I'm well balanced.

2. I like Gothy things even though I'm two or three decades older than most people that embrace a Goth style.

3. I don't own any high heels. Hmmm, there might be small blocky heel on a pair of boots I own, but I can't remember the last time I wore them anyway.

4. I like the taste of healthy foods (vegetables, soy, whole grains) more than I like the taste of junk food. Not that I haven't eaten my share of junk food. I gave up being a purist about that sort of thing long ago. But if I get to choose, I almost always choose fresh and healthy over sweet, fat, rich, or salty.

5. I fantasize about living two diametrically opposing future lives. I dream of living in a culturally rich, artsy city. I'd live in a flat above shops and walk to the corner coffee house or market. Or maybe it would be smallish city and I'd own an old Victorian within a few blocks of the downtown. BUT! At the same time I also picture myself living far from the bustle on a secluded piece of property. No noise, no neighbors, dark star strewn skies, room to garden, woods to walk in, privacy for a bonfire or outdoor ritual if I wanted. I can't decide which one I would love best. I've done both and was happier in both those situations than in any of the other situations I've ever lived in. I can't realistically have either of them at the moment, so I guess it doesn't matter which I would choose. Maybe time or fate will decide for me. Or who knows, maybe I'll become an overnight financial success (uhm, selling dust bunnies?) and be able to own BOTH a house in the city and a house in the country.

6. One of my fantasies for most of my adult life was to have an old truck I could galivant around in. Spunky farm gal, that would be me. Ironically, we now own an old truck. A metallic midnight blue '64 Chevy. It was originally my son Joe's teen "fix it up" project with his grandpa. But he lost interest in it and hubby ended up sinking primarily his own time and money into it, so it became our truck. Hubby would gladly let me drive it, claim it as my own, but I think of it his truck and I have no interest in it. I've only driven it for a short distance a couple of times in ten years. Now that they are adults, both of our older sons want the truck that neither of them thought was "cool" when they were teenagers, but I still like the idea of owning it. Plus, we do use it for truck jobs - bringing home large furniture, hauling stuff to the dump, bringing home the Yule tree.

7. I prefer eating with chopsticks over eating with a fork. Even if it's not Chinese food. Pasta of any kind. Stir fries. Fruit salad. Oh, anything really. Okay. Maybe not soup.

Hmmmm, you know what I just thought of? I was tagged on my studio blog. So maybe these should have been seven random artsy things about myself. I don't feel like deleting what I already wrote. It's harder than I thought to come up with odd things to say. I'll just do a second seven.

Seven random and perhaps wierd ARTSY things about MOI.

1. I'm not a huge fan of modern art.

2. I like Shabby Chic but not in the typical sweet way. Maybe what I like is more Shabby Goth?

3. I love words and I love images. It's like right brain/ left brain, city/ country. I can't pick between them. I can't pick between cats and dogs either. Or tea and coffee. Hot colors and cool colors. Kitschy or Kla...er, classic. It's a curse. I'm frustratingly well balanced. Or maybe unfocused. Undecisive? Shut up. I like the term "well balanced" best. But it's still a curse. You should be with me when I'm ordering from a menu. The stir fry or the fish and chips? Oh, which to choose!?!

4. I have a love/hate relationship with hats on people in collage work. On one hand, it's so cute and I wish I'd thought of it before everyone else. On the other hand it's overdone. Over OVER OVER done. So I can't do it. (I know, never say never) I envy and admire it and want to scream when I see it yet again - all in one breath.

5. My aunt used to own a sketch by Picasso. Which he made for her. At a party. She was at. With Picasso. Well, she didn't come with him. But she was at the same party he was at. She got wierd and I think into drugs as she got older and has since passed away. I don't know what happened to the Picasso.

6. Sometimes art makes me feel like crying.

7. The first artist that I thought of as "my favorite" was Georgia O'Keefe. When I learned more about her life, about how she chose her art over having children, I felt sad for her and sort of let down. Why couldn't she do both, like our generation of women were taught was possible. Why wasn't she a better role model!? ("I am woman, hear me roar!" or "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never, ever let him forget he's a man, 'cuz I'm a wo-o-o-oman.") Later, as I grew, had children, observed the life and choices of woman around me, my criticism of her disappeared. She was right. Not that you have to choose one over the other like she did. You can do both. But you can't do both the same way you can do one or the other. Family, career, children, self - they all have to be juggled in only so many hours in a day. There's always something that's sacrificed.

Okay, that's it. Now to tag seven random bloggers:

1 Creative Slave
2. Moonsinging
3. Simply Mein
4. Susan in Stitches
5. Magical Musings
6. Artistic Creations
7. Artquiltmaker

I didn't check so, if you've been tagged already, feel free to pass. Or if you hate these things, feel free to pass as well. No obligation. Just play if you want.

4 comments:

catsmum said...

sorry sweety
I've been tagged with this so many times that I've pretty much run out of things to say. I think I'll have to pass :[

Natasha Burns said...

Thanks for tagging me! I'm so dull and boring and did this one and i really struggled to find 7 things remotely interesting about myself, lol! I'll keep a notebook handy and if i think of things and get to 7 i'll post a list!
Enjoy your night

flyinamber said...

tnx for visiting my blog,Laume!I'm very busy this days but I'll visit certainly all your blogs when I catch the time..you have beautiful photos of the nature on this blog..
I'm the old punk but also like Gothy things-especially The Cure and Robert Smith's poetry :)

Jaye said...

I was interested in your comment about women of a certain generation being taught that we could do anything and the repercussions. I believe I can do anything I want to do, but somehow I feel like I still have to do all of the "women's work" stuff as well. There is nobody to pick up the "women's work" slack while the women are at the office. I still want to be able to do what I want to do and would go crazy staying home watching the kids, but I don't want to have to do EVERYTHING. Sigh.