Friday, February 17, 2006

I keep saying I'm being creative, but in case anyone is doubtful, I took a couple of pics this morning:

Here's some fabric auditioning for parts:


Here's a bit of the background with some selected fabrics that need to be cut and shaped.

I also have a photo I've tweaked that I'm working from (kinda, sorta), and I have to sketch some of the objects from the photo larger onto paper so I can use them as templates. I'm not showing you the photo because I have a hard time showing people my work before I reach a certain stage. Believe it or not, it was hard enough for me to show you the fabrics! Is anyone else this shy about their projects in the beginning?

This is for a color challenge I'm trying to finish. At the point where a decision had to be made, I had two ideas vying for the job and couldn't decide which one to go with. This one won out, but I do think I'll do the other idea as well and maybe I'll use it as a experiment in working "in front" of people and show you that process more completely. We'll see. One thing at a time. I've got to finish ONE first!

A friend sent me an e-mail this afternoon so I could see a small (12") piece she started on last night. It was really nice, and although the image was completely different then my purple project - in size, technique, and complexity, it was pretty similar. I looked at it and felt.... both excited and frustrated at the same time. On one hand, it was lovely, and proof that my project was indeed possible. I mean, if she could do it, so can I. Heck, I already knew I could do it too.

But on the other hand, the way she'd said "I started it last night..." made me feel both dimwitted and like I was trying to work with mittens on my hands. My process seems to be sooooooo slooooooow compared to some others. As the conversation continued, I discovered that she had been mulling the idea over for some time and she's had last evening and most of today to work on it. I felt a bit better then. The conversation came at a good time though, because it clarified for me what has been making me feel overwhelmed with my own process.

I've done traditional quilting for a decade now. If I think back to the first few blocks I ever made, I can laugh remembering that ONE block would take me an entire evening to complete! And that would include several rip outs and serious concentration skills. Nowadays I whip out a whole string of blocks with half my attention on watching American Idol.

My point - I've made dozens of traditional (or traditional-ish) quilts for beds and cuddles, but I've made less than a handful of non-traditional art quilts. The techniques aren't old hat to me, plus I often need to add new techniques as my expectations increase with each project. I've just forgotten how much more WORK it is to be a beginner at something! I've reminded my kids at least a thousand times about this idea - it's hard in the beginning of the learning curve. Because, except for Sam for whom the BEST PART is the learning to do something new part (toss the instructions to the wind and charge ahead confidently!), the rest of my kids take after me - they have a lot more fun after they start to get the hang of things. It's classic -Didn't see it when it applied to me.

Okay, lesson humbly learned. I'll keep plugging away. But I tell ya, I sure will be glad when I get to the point where I don't feel like I'm reinventing the wheel each time I walk into the studio. I'll throw a party when that happens, and you'll all be invited.

**************************

Moving on, I woke up this morning to a snowy landscape. This triggered the photographer in me to leap out the door and spend the morning taking photos. Here are just a few of my favorites.

Don't you just love all the color in this shot?


Twisted tarps on top of the wood pile


I loved this! The snow came out and covered the sun! But the sun tried to melt it off. See, the icicle. But that winter sun, it just didn't have enough warmth to do the job.


What I especially liked about this, you have to click on the bigger image to really see it, is that the water dripped down and gave this little sprite an earring.

Photographer trapped in a frozen ball


I'm a little teapot short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my spout. When I get all steamed up.....er........uhm, frozen, hear me shout, "It's friggin' cold out here!" Okay, maybe not the children's version of the song.

Here's Spike wearing a snow cap. Apparently I'm a sucker for anything in a snow cap.


What I loved about this is the ethereal look of the flags - you can see more flags through the ones in the front. And I liked the soft colors, how they've faded down to whispered prayers.


Finally, my feet got so cold, I had to come back in. Note to self: Next time, wear boots.

1 comment:

:-D eirdre said...

I think you picked the right mix of colors for the project - and I'm betting that you made some real progress last night - if for no other reason than because you are competitive! Imagine that - YOU COMPETITIVE!!!

RAH RAH RAH - GOOOOO LAUMMMMMEEEE!!

The photos were fun - our 2+ feet of snow from last Sunday is now gone - there are a few small piles where the plow had made a mountain but the snow has no chance against the 50 to 60 degree weather we had all week. of course this weekend is it supposed to be as warm as 30!

So I'm following your lead and working in the studio!

GOOOOOOO LAUMMMMMMEEEE!!!