Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I was surprised at how much humor and profanity there were in the statues, sculptures, tombs, and so on. Here's a sweet little cherub playing with a skull. Well, holding a skull. There was one tomb, the lid of the coffin was a sculpture of the person trying to climb out and skeletons pushing him back in. Didn't get a picture of that one as it was in a No Photos situation, but there was a lot of that sort of thing. We think, or at least I had imagined, people in the past as being either very spiritual and reverent on one hand or bawdy, superstitious and earthy on the other. It appears the reality is it was often a hodge podge of both.

We didn't eat at this place, although I had intended to come back here. There was just so many choices, we forgot and moved on. But I took a photo because I loved the name - The Moon and Sixpence. I have no idea if it's an original whimsy or from an old poem or quote, but it made me think that if it wasn't, it should have been.

This was probably the very first peek I had of one of these little tucked off to the side areas. They were everywhere - down an alley, close, narrow street, garden.... and I wish I could have taken a photo of each and every one of them.

No comments: