Tuesday, February 10, 2009


Time, time, time..... never enough time in a day. I had several topics I wanted to blog about here tonight but now it's late and my brain is voting for an alternative activity that doesn't require active thinking. It's suggesting bed, book, tea.... and oh yeah, some delicious pumpkin oatmeal bread. To go with the tea? Great idea, brain!

Funny story about that bread. You want to hear it? Okay - last night I had a real craving for something sweet. I'm trying to use what I have in the house instead of running to Starbucks or the store for something so I grabbed some frozen peaches out of the freezer and started thawing them in the microwave while I preheated the oven and began to whip up a crumble topping. I'd mixed all the dry ingredients already when I removed the peaches from the microwave and began to spread them in the pan..... hmmmmm....
I suspected..... tasted the peaches..... oops. I'd thawed out two cups of not peaches, but PUMPKIN.

Not wanting to waste the mixed dried ingredient, I looked up some recipes for pumpkin, doubled the amounts in a basic quick bread recipe to accomodate that much pumpkin, tweaked it a bit, popped it in the oven, and crossed my fingers. An hour later - YUM! Sometimes having decades of cooking experience comes in handy. Luck probably had a bit to do with it as well. It made a LOT of bread. I wish I could have some of you over for a pot of tea and a few slices. I doubt my boys will help me eat it all. Maybe it freezes well?

I'll save my more complex topics for tomorrow and just give you a quick update -

My photo shoot for my friend and her family yesterday was a lot of fun, but cold, oh so cold - we took photos in the snow in the mountains at dusk! The dusk part wasn't part of the plan, but an unavoidable complication. I think they were really happy with the photos. I was pretty happy with them myself. Except that the last round of shots aren't as sharp as they could have been because of the low light. As long as they don't blow those up too large though, they're still cute.

I got about an hour of studio time today. I spent half of it cleaning up a box I flipped over, spreading bits and pieces of unsorted "stuff" all over the place, and also trying to get a cat to come out from behind a row of boxes in the closet. The dogs were trying to help. Which didn't help. I finally gave up (with the cat, I did pick up the spill), spent the rest of the time working on the project I can't show you (a gift) and too quickly it was time to leave for a preplanned outing with a friend. Several hours later I came back and remembered to check on the cat who by then was only too happy to be let out of the room.

I started on my third grey wristwarmer the other night. Forgot to work on it tonight, dang, I coulda finished it up while watching Harold and Kumar Escape with the teen. Funnier than the first movie I thought.

REMINDER! Tomorrow, Wednesday February 11, is the last day to leave a comment on my OWOH post (click here) for a chance at winning my giveaway, a box of craft supplies. I'll close the comments at midnight and post the winner on Thursday, February 12.

No comments: